Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Ride for Amy Recap

I am still WAY behind, and getting more and more behind.  I wish I would have written this post a while back, while it was still fresh in my mind.  Anyway, here goes:

Ride for Amy

I know most of you saw my post on Amy, who was hit by a semi while doing her final long training ride prior to Kona.  Well, this ride was a fundraiser for her therapy, and it took place at Island Lake State Park, on October 13, 2012, the day of Kona.  At the time of the ride, she was still in the hospital, but has since been moved to a rehabilition facility.  The agenda for the day was meet up with Valerie early, help set up, and then ride, and head out before the silent auction.  I had donated food for the riders, paid the entry donation, as well as donated an item for it, and bought two wristbands up until the start of the event, so while I was bummed that I wouldn't be partaking of the auction, I felt like I was contributing the best I could.  I had also planned to buy a shirt, but those were unavailable.  I ended up purchasing a visor instead, which has now become my new favorite visor.

It was a rainy morning, but it was still very well attended.  It was really incredible to see the triathlon and running community come together this way.  I got to see a lot of people from Triathletes in Action, which isn't very active anymore with their group workouts.  We had a couple really great seasons as a group, but then everyone seemed to do a lot more of their own thing.  It was fantastic to have everyone back together supporting Amy.  Also, Randy Step of Running Fit donated his time and his equipment to take credit card registration and funds for the auction.  It was truly a beautiful thing to look around and know that everyone there was there to help Amy, and that 100% of the money went to her and her recovery.  No one was getting paid, and if you used a credit card, you paid your own processing fee. 


Since it was raining, most people just did one lap of the park.  No one was going terribly fast, and it was a social ride.  No times or anything.  Not even an official roster.  Valerie had just gotten a brand new bike!  Yea! This was her first ride on it, and I was honored that I could ride with her.

The funny thing about this, and I didn't realize it until the following week, was that Valerie and I swapped tights accidently for this ride!  Since we arrived early to set up, we both had on bike shorts under yoga pants, and then brought this massive pile of all black clothes into the bathroom to start layering up.  Apparently we mixed up our tights in the process.  Too funny that we both had black under armour tights, although the sizes were different.  I think I recall her mentioning that she could barely put her feet through, but I didn't think anything of it because I have that problem too.  Duh!!!!

I am hoping to get to see Amy over Christmas break when we return to MI.  Her sister Kendi has set up a facebook page for her recover fund, and you can get the most up to date information regarding Amy HERE

1 comment:

Big Daddy Diesel said...

I will continue to keep Amy and her family in my prayers