Wednesday, April 25, 2012

And just as quickly as I did it, I am OUT

I did not win the lottery for NYC.  It is really funny how the emotions went down on this.  I hadn't thought about it much since last Nov when I cried and cried about it.  Then I got to Boston, and it was insane hot, and I mentioned it to my friend Cristie, who had already entered the lottery.  Then I didn't think about it again until the last day.  I was super excited to enter, and even had my lodging lined up! I couldn't sleep all night after I hit submit.  I knew the chances were slim.  Then, I wasn't sure if I even wanted to spend the money IF I got in.  We had just gotten two quotes for some work on the outside of the house that neither Ryan or I really felt like doing ourselves and one for new countertops and a new really awesome sink.  Ryan isn't 100% down with the sink I chose, because neither of us are fabulous plumbers, and it is going to take a lot of plumbing work to go from 2 bowls to 1 bowl.  It seemed like an arm and a leg for the plumber to just disconnect and then reconnect the existing configuration, not move the disposal from the right to the center, and remove a drain.  We had a discussion, and Ryan suggested that we look at some two bowl sinks.  I informed him that I did not want new countertops unless I could have THAT sink.  (and to be honest, the two bowl sinks we looked before we found the SUPER SINK did not have the drains the same space as the existing configuration EITHER, so they would need some work to line everything back up too!) If we aren't getting that sink, we don't need a new one, just a new faucet, thank you very much.  I would rather have my ski trip or NYC trip.  Well, now that we don't have that NYC trip looming, I had better get my sink!

Pegasus Dual Mount Granite 33x22x10 4-Hole Large Single Bowl Kitchen Sink in Metallic Black, image via Home Depot

History-  the faucet in our house has leaked if you are not super careful with it since we moved in.  We have a stainless steel sink with two equally sized bowls.  I hate it, because for the past 14 years I have had a large single bowl sink. We hand wash all our pots and pans, and only our smallest two pans/pots fit flat in our current sink.  I am constantly sloshing water all over the floor and myself because I can't scrub the bottom of the pan properly with it rocking back and forth at an angle in the sink to fit.  I also can't soak any pans in the sink either, because they don't sit flat.   It drives me nut.  So, between the chinese water torture faucet and the small sink bowls, the kitchen can drive me crazy some days.  We want a new faucet, and don't want to replace just the faucet, but the sink too.  The type of mounting for a granite countertop is different than that for a formica countertop, and Ryan has said that if we  just get a new sink, we can never have granite while we live here because I can't have 2 sinks for this house.  Easy enough, we can get the granite now too.  Now we are getting it all quoted for real, and it is adding up a bit faster than it did in our heads on the showroom.  And then I go and enter the NYC lottery.  If I can't run the NYC marathon, I WANT THAT SINK!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Any improvement in this old home of mine is huge. I love the color of the formica countertops. Taking a cue from that long scratch on the original ones, I’m extremely careful not to do anything to damage them, but they're pretty durable.

Sara @ Domestically Challenged said...

I like the sink! We have a granite sink and I adore it!!