Thursday, June 7, 2012

MMM Weekend Preview

This weekend is the Michigan Mountain Mayhem.  To say that I am a bit nervous would be a major undestatement.  I feel like I have two camps of friends right now, those who have no question that I will finish it, and those that think I am nuts for wanting to try it.  The unfortunate thing is that my husband and his friend Kent are in the later group.  So, I am putting this post out here to help ME remember why I want to do it.

1.  My cycling has been progressing very well this year.  I feel very very strong on the bike (for me).  Perhaps I need this to humble me?
2.  I am not unfamiliar with being in over my head.  My first triathlon ever was a huge example of this.  Some things you just have to go out and do, to fully comprehend what you are getting into. 
3.  I am stubborn, and understand that the mind is a powerful thing.  I am very set on doing the 100mi route.  Pretty much only major mechanical problems or really bad weather will allow me to even consider not doing the route.  I have never needed to be rescued from a run or ride before, and I don't plan on it happening this weekend.  I'm going to do what I set out to do!  I feel like there have been so many opportunities where I could have given up on a workout and have not.  I hope to be able to put this determination to good use this weekend.
4.  You don't know what you can do until you try.  The body is an amazing thing, and I really believe that it can do more than you really know.  I plan on testing that this weekend.
5.  It seems like a waste to travel all the way up to Boyne to only ride 65 miles.  That is sort of a dumb reason, but really, we have childcare lined up for the whole day, so I might as well take full advantage of it.  I feel like with Ryan and I constantly trying to balance who does what ride, we finally have the opportunity to both do a really long one, and I want to take advantage of it.
6.  It will help me determine if doing a full Ironman is something that I still want to do, and gauge how much work I will need to put in.  Ryan always feels really miserable after his century rides, because he gives all he can to them, and could never imaging wanting to run a marathon after.  I am curious to see if I will feel the same.  I felt like a rock star after the Horsey Hundred, and while this route will have more climbing than any triathlon course that I plan to do, it will at least let me know how I feel after being on the bike for 7+ hours or so.  I do think it will take me 7 hours at least.   Ryan averaged 17mph for this ride last year, so if I can hit 15mph, I will be plenty happy!
7.  I am confident with my nutrition and training, and I believe in myself.
8.  I am a bit crazy, but I think you already knew that.
9.  This isn't a reason, but I wanted to add it.  I am debating on wearing all black on Sat, just because I will be doing this for CLIF and not Aquaphor (which I did get offered and accepted, whoo hoo!).  Ryan asked me if I thought I was Johnny Cash, and if I was going to a funeral.  Maybe I am!  I still might wear my landshark kit, though.  I am actually thinking regular cycling shorts and not tri shorts is going to be the way to go, though.
9.  This appeared in my news feed today:
What will we receive if we press forward and endure to the end?

2 Nephi 31:20 Wherefore, ye must press forward with a steadfastness in Christ, having a perfect brightness of hope, and a love of God and of all men. Wherefore, if ye shall press forward, feasting upon the word of Christ, and endure to the end, behold, thus saith the Father: Ye shall have eternal life.
I know this has nothing to do with biking, but hey, it has to do with pressing on!


Wish me luck!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Melissa... you can do this. You have done harder things without even thinking about it. Just have fun and enjoy the time on your bike!!! :) Don't worry about speed or anything like that!

Anonymous said...

You got this! Easy peasy... you are more prepared than ever and will do great! Just go out, enjoy it and have fun :)

Big Daddy Diesel said...

Enjoy the ride